Monday, March 2, 2009

Some Mannequins Are People Too...

My friend Lisa who works at Old Navy recently told me about the new mannequins the store had received. They were in fact a handful of complete, head to toe, ethnically diverse and age varying, over priced coat hangers. You may have already seen their socially cliché commercials or have been blessed in eluding them thus far.

Either way, I got a laugh from the fact that the local store had gotten their shipment early and had already assembled them and then decided to tactfully place them in their managers office before closing up. Well, it blew over a little bit, but did startle other employees. Cough, Lisa.

And how do mannequins who have eyes that watch you as walk by encourage people to shop at your store? And the women mannequins seem to have that dumb valley girl expression of “Oh, shiny!” plastered on their faces too. Creepy.

As we later floated around the mall area, we crossed an Abercrombie & Fitch store (or American Eagle, they’re all the same to me, honestly.) with its expensive doorway and huge photo of half naked man wearing one of their articles of clothing. Well, I noticed the mannequins right outside and saw they were only buff torsos on a poll and without a head.

I commented to Lisa and my mother about the irony. “Hey, that’s just what the store promotes. Doesn’t matter if you have a face, just buy our clothes and you‘re cool!” Expensive clothes, I might add. My mom seemed to have a good chuckle.

So oddly enough, I have a newfound respect for manikins with heads. Even if I do still attempt to put them compromising positions when I think no one is looking.

***I've been informed the store was actually a Hollister Co. Same Difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment